Other Sights


The ruins of Dragonera castle are situated in an impressively wild place, where there are still traces of the four major periods of history. Dragonera means land (ERA) which has Dredging (GETTING DEEPER). The area was first inhabited in the 6th millennium B.C. and the habitation was continuous, as shown by the walls of four different eras, from the Neolithic era 6.000-3.000 B.C., to the Ottoman occupation 1453-1821.

The castle is protected on both sides by huge rocks and was in control of the eastern lowlands.

In this area there are ruins of walls built in the 8th century B.C., it remained independent until the 5th century B.C. as it was conquered from Eretria.  To this day, at the foot of the mountain, there are still fragments of tiles, ceramics and pottery.

As we go up we see the remains of the ancient wall. As mentioned by Strabo, it is possible that this region is identified as the ancient town Oichalia. The Athenian tragic poet Sophocles also mentions the Evian Oichalia.

At the top of the hill we find the church of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary, which was built on an ancient temple’s ruins, possibly a temple dedicated to the goddess Artemis (Diana). Around the church there are pillars and pillar bases. 

Moving to the south west we will come across the Holy Water, situated at the base of a rock carved like an arcade. On the west side of Dragonera is the entrance and the huge stoned walls.


The female convent of the Transfiguration is located 4 kilometers north of Kimi, in a beautiful green environment, 250m above sea level.

It was founded by monks of Mount Athos in the 15th century. The monastery is a large building complex. It faces the fortress and it is surrounded by four building wings. On the walls there are various enwall architectural elements from pre-Christian structures.

On August 6th, the monastery celebrates in honor of the Transfiguration of Christ.

As we go down the road from the monastery to Kimi, we pass from the spring Gournia and as we approach, we can see Kimi from the site “Agnanti “. The name was given because of the view from the hill of Kimi to the Aegean Sea that lies ahead.